jueves, 9 de febrero de 2012

So, what can you buy?


We woke up pretty late for our East-African standards, around 8.30 am.
Strolled alongside the beach, when I saw a trimaran moored somewhat far from the shore. Suddenly I felt a deep sadness and I craved for a moment just by myself. I told Miguel to keep on going and I stayed there, eyes lost somewhere in the horizon.
I pictured myself writing a love story happening right over there. I even picture one scene: an italian-looking healthy young man walking shoeless on the sand with the afternoon sun sinking on the horizon, white trousers, eyeglasses in hand, trendy hair-cut, a broad smile on his face, a good sun-tan and a smell that only sweet water can give. I gathered strength, waved at a typical-looking nautical old man and walked further up the beach.

I joined Miguel at a small eaterie and had breakfast over there. Next to us, a chessboard stared at us but we ignored it.
The sky was already up in the sky when we started walking again. People were bathing on the shore: washing their faces, clothes, cookware. There was one particular girl that captivated my attention. Down on her knees, just like an obedient japanese girl, she would monotonically scrub her back with a thin-knit fisherman's net.

We walked all the way to the National Park where a guy most kindly told us that we had to pay 10 usd for the entrance (when in fact it was 5 usd). So, intensely annoyed that we were always seen as money-giving walking cows, we expressed that we only wanted to check  on the hiking schedules and prices. Not willing to let us go so easily, he said he'd walk with us to the main office, but he was positively sure that the guard on duty had gone to town. On our way there, another guy joined us.

When we reached the office there was, in fact, no one. Now, both of the men, started offering to take us around the hills.
It's amazing how these guys can turn paradise into freaking hell, we said we'd think about it and left. Narrow escape!

I had lunch on my own, read and wrote for a while. A very shy girl brought my food. She mumbled some words that I couldn't hear. While I was still eating, she came closer to me and said 'I like you', completely blushed.

On my way back to the hostel I was spacially attacked by these beach touts and politely declined their offers. Wooden key-holders, kayak trips, dhow trips, money exchange, marihuana, plaits, breads, art crafts (every guy had the same kind of painting and none had in all his paintings the same signature, cheap fakers!), beach braais, necklaces, wristbands… you name it.
When I said no to everything, one of the guys said: 'So, what can you buy?'


The sunset was incredible, but was followed by an electrical storm even more amazing.
Sat on the beach, hugging my legs, looking in wander.
Another day had gone by.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario