jueves, 29 de diciembre de 2011

Lucky/ Road Trippin'

After a long night writing on my blog everything I'd done so far and taking advice from a gentle Isreali Jonathan, I ended up going to sleep at 2am only to wake up at 4.20am. Bummer!
Half sleepy, half grunting I packed my stuff and finished one minute before the chapa was due to arrive (that's when the plastic part of my termo broke into two).
Of course, it didn't arrive on time. So, after waiting 10 mintues I decided to go quickly to the nearest ATM. I ran for it but when I got back, everybody was on the bus ready to go. Only I was missing.
After I was already comfy in my seat, ready for the road trippin' I was missing only one thing: my Ipod.
I did the usual ceremony of untying the knots that earplug cables manage to do inside of a pocket and with much pleasure turn the Ipod on, only to find music was gone!
Still, I was on my way to one of many paradisiac places, hopefully =)

So, the chapa/ minibus has a capacity of 25 people to which you have to add the driver and the put-everything-together/ ticket-charging/ blah-blah-blah guy. In order to leave Maputo the chapa has to be full, that's why it takes so long to get going. Also, these multifunction guys have a tendency to overstay and chat with friends everywhere, which makes your trip even slower, if possible.
We had around 500km ahead that in the end took 10hs of travelling and stopping.
Usually Mozambican passangers carry too much stuff and there was scarce room to put everything properly, so the chapa floor looked like an amazing Tetris/ mosaic all over. On this trip there was a woman carrying rice and food for her family. She got kicked out because she had paid to another person nothing to do with this multi-task guy and she didn't have enough money. They argued for half an hour at Junta (a sort of bus terminal) and for another half hour on the way, only to throw her things outside.
For you to picture it, Junta is a placed where chapas are packed together, people sell almost anything there, from women offering drinks they carry on their heads, children offering you bafuru and pineapples to street tents with loud music. Everything standing on a muddy ground, covered with plastic bottles and strong sweat/ faeces smell.

The trip was not that bad, even though it was hot, sticky, long and sloooooooow.
"Are we there yet?' was a phrase that I bet came to everybody's minds more than once, I'm sure.

When we finally got there, we all stayed at Matilda's Nest (by everybody I mean to two SA couples, an American couple and me). The vibe of this place is so relaxing (except for the loud music, sometimes)
and the bar on a sand dune with view of the beach was just perfect. I joined the SA couples for an afternoon swim. The water was at perfect temperature! (Nice waves, current was strong though).

We were told that a Music Festival was starting tonight and I was really looking forward to it, but was rather tired from the journey, so after having some Quick K. soups, chatting with a Malaysian/ German doctor (who took out a tick from somebody's head) a Swiss who got all his luggage lost (and curiously resembles to Stephen Fry), I went to sleep.
Good night, sleep tight! (If the music lets you)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario